Building a Lake House
Waterfront homes are a dream for many. Living in a lakefront home is an idyllic experience regardless if it’s a summer getaway or a year-round lake house.
Northern Michigan is the premier destination for vacationers, retirees, or anyone wanting to live in the beauty of nature that only life “up north” can offer. It is often said that “You are never farther than five miles from any body of water” and it’s true! Northern Michigan is full of lakes, rivers and ponds. With its natural beauty and huge variety of year-round activities, Northern Michigan is the perfect place to build your lake house.
But without proper planning and guidance, the dream could easily become your worst nightmare. Before you begin construction, you should be aware of all the important details that go into building a custom home on waterfront property, especially in the Traverse City and Northern Michigan region.
Most likely your dream home is firmly planted in your mind’s eye, from the amazing designer chef’s kitchen to a luxurious master bathroom with dual walk in showers and soaking tub with skylight and panoramic sunset views from the private deck off an elegant master bedroom.
You’ve got the perfect Northern Michigan lake house in mind, now it’s time to get the ball rolling.
Consulting a reputable builder with an extensive knowledge of waterfront custom homes should be your first step. A knowledgeable builder will have the ability to educate and guide you through the myriad of steps involved in building your lakefront home.
Lakeshore Custom Homes has years of experience building luxury homes on waterfront property in the Grand Traverse, Leelanau, and Benzie region of Northern Michigan. We can offer you unique insight to waterfront building in the region that few builders can.
Lakeshore Custom Homes can offer valuable expertise and guidance on:
- Site selection. Will the property accommodate your design and house orientation?
- Zoning height restrictions. Some areas have height restrictions meant to protect the view from other properties.
- Are you aware of seasonal and historic water levels?
- Do you need an Elevation Certificate?
- How deep is the water table? Will it affect having a basement or crawlspace?
- Does your property contain any wetlands?
- Are you located in a flood zone? Will you need flood insurance?
- Does the soil drain easily? Will you need special foundations or septic systems?
- What type of landscaping will you need to manage erosion?
- Will you need erosion control for your beach?
- Special considerations for docks.
- What are the prevailing wind conditions like? How will they affect your enjoyment of your property?
- Design consideration for privacy and noise control. Some lakes can be rather busy and noisy. We can assist in choosing the right windows and window treatments, insulation, landscaping, and other design features that less experienced builders might miss.
- Sand Dunes require special consideration too. Critical Dunes are protected and need special care when building on or near them.
- Roofing, siding and windows need to be appropriate for the unique challenges that Northern Michigan and lakefront weather presents.
All these items require special care and consideration in order to ensure that the process of building your dream home will be as smooth and painless as possible. Well planned design and construction can reduce your long-term cost of ownership and lower maintenance costs too.
The good news is that Lakeshore Custom Homes has years of experience building lake houses and we can guide you through the planning and construction process to help you avoid unexpected problems and get home you really want.
Good communication is the key to a great home building experience.
We take great pride in providing excellent communication with our clients. Building a home requires a great working relationship with your building team. There will likely be a few bumps in the road and effective communication will make traveling the route from start to finish as smooth as possible.
Are you ready to make your lake house dream a reality? Contact us today to make an appointment to discuss your home building plans.